Arizona

Back to Home

Barron M. Jacobs and his brother, Lionel M. Jacobs, were Tucson's pioneer bankers, organizing the Pima County Bank, the first banking institution of Tucson. Some time later Sam Hughes, a leading pioneer, and a group of associates organized the Santa Cruz Valley bank, which later merged with the bank of the Jacobs brothers. At about the same time Safford, Hudson and Company organized a bank, which was later purchased by David Henderson, through the failure of Lord and Williams, a leading Tucson firm of wholesalers and post traders. Lord and Williams had been directly connected with the Safford, Hudson bank. Henderson, along with B. M. Jacobs and M. P. Freeman, were to organize the Consolidated Bank of Tucson. Later the three men went on to organize the First National Bank, which later changed its name to the Arizona National Bank.

az099.jpg (42287 bytes)1880 PIMA COUNTY BANK MEMORANDUM CHECK
Tucson, A.T. 3 1/4” x 8 3/4”. As I have a few examples of this item. payee may be different than that illustrated. Closed, non distracting spindle puncture, overall VG, (Az.99) $65.


az097.jpg (53500 bytes)1880 PIMA COUNTY BANK CHECK—BARRON JACOBS SIGNED
Tucson, A.T. 3 3/8” x 8”. Imprinted gold revenue, B.M. Jacobs signature. Barron M. Jacobs and his brother, Lionel M. Jacobs, were Tucson's pioneer bankers, organizing the Pima County Bank, the first banking institution of Tucson. I have a small number of these checks, payee may be different than illustrated. All are in good condition, have a closed, non distracting spindle puncture, and light diagonal crease. (Az.97) $65.


az102.jpg (60387 bytes)1884 FIRST NATIONAL BANK CHECK, TUCSON A.T.  
3 1/2” x 8 1/2” Very attractive green check. Imprinted to the Chemical National Bank, New York . Designed cancel., overall VG.(Az.102); $65.


az101.jpg (70294 bytes)1882 FIRST NATIONAL BANK CERTIFICATE OF DEPOSIT. TUCSON A.T
3 3/8” x 8 5/8” . Signed by B.M. Jacobs. Overall VG.(Az.101); $65.


az084.jpg (75821 bytes)CA. 1880 SAFFORD, HUDSON & Co. BANK RECEIPT.  
Tucson, A.T. Unused bank receipt “Received from...Twenty Dollars in Mexican Silver…” . 3 3/4’ x 9”. Very attractive and scarce. VF cond. (Az.84) $165.


w706.jpg (69519 bytes)1883 FIRST NATIONAL BANK CHECK, TUCSON A.T
3 1/4” x 8 1/4” Strong graphic design of hard rock miners. Scarce in this design format. Of note is the payee is Capt Chas Eagan, Captain of the Commissary and Subsistence (later Brig Gen.; full bio will be sent)., and signed on verso by Nathan Spaulding, Cal Pioneer and noted inventor (bio also sent). Imprinted gold revenue, VG cond.(Az.103);$150.


az105.jpg (42921 bytes)1878 L.M. JACOBS & CO. CHECK
Tucson, A.T. 3” x 8 1/4”. 1878 check, handsomely illustrated with Indian design left side. Light fold lines, overall VG. (Az.105)$65.


az069.jpg (68643 bytes)1877 BILL OF LADING
James Barney, to Arizona Territory, A.T. freighting to Camp Mojave. Scarce imprinted bill of lading, 1877 received from James M. Barney by Central Pacific Railroad, San Francisco, and to be delivered to Barney at Colorado River, then transshipped to Camp Mojave, A.T. (pencil inscribed as consignees). Though not stated, the goods were to be shipped James Barney at his location in Ehrenburg,. (Az.69); $75.
 Most shipments inland to Arizona were brought by steamer from San Francisco to the mouth of the Colorado River, where transfer was made to river going vessels, and then transported to either Ehrenberg or Yuma. At Ehrenberg, there was the firm of David Neahr and Company, and James Barney, and at Yuma, W. B. Hooper and Company, both forwarding agents. From this destination they were transported overland.W. Barney was the principal mercantile firm at Ehrenburg, one hundred and thirty miles above Yuma, and next to Yuma, the largest shipping town on the Colorado River. Most of the freight for Prescott, Wickenburg, and the country east is transshipped at this town.

 


JOHNSON, ARIZONA GHOST TOWN STORE SCRIP. Johnson, Arizona, 2 3/8" x 4 1/8", $1.00 Store Scrip of Fiege & Co Commissary and Meat Market. Almost certainly Fiege & Co was a company store for the mines. Very scarce ghost town ephemera.
Johnson, located in Cochise County, AZ, 19 miles NW of Benson, PO est. as Johnson April 5 , 1900, and discont. Nov 20, 1029. Founded as the headquarters for the Peabody Company in 1883, Johnson was the successor to nearby Russellville. Mr. Johnson, the town's namesake, was general manager of the company at that time. By July, 150 men were employed working the copper from the Peabody Mine, and Johnson had a clustering of saloons, stores, and other establishments. A mining slump followed the turn of the century, but work resumed again about 1909, and Johnson accelerated its pace of development. By 1925 it had become a community of a thousand people.In addition to the Peabody, there were many other companies working and developing the area's copper wealth. Three other mines in the vicinity were the Black Prince Copper, Cochise Copper, and Keystone.The mid-twenties were good years. Suddenly, the depression dropped the price of copper, and Johnson's life ended. Not much is left of the town, a few concrete foundations, and signs indicating previous mining.

az152.jpg (96443 bytes)PAY TO AUGUSTIEN VALENCIA.  
Redeemed 19__(1902) (Paid) stamp on back. Some dampstaining rt side, o/w VG+.(Az152); $200. 


az151.jpg (32956 bytes)PAY TO JOSE MONTE.  
Though vrey light, Redeemed 1902 (Paid) stamp on back. Some dampstaining and wear throughout, o/w G.(Az151); $150.


az086.jpg (86342 bytes)GOLD STAR MINES. POLARIS, ARIZONA.  
Lot of two . Golden Star Mines Co. Boarding House Meal Ticket, unused, 2 3/4" x 4 3/4" light lavender cardboard stock. Some minor age toning along edges, o/w Fine cond. Also included is a Certificate of Assay, 6" x 9", 1909. Non distracting spindle puncture holes, overall VG. I have three of these pieces, cert of assay may be different than one illustrated. (Az.86); 165.
Polaris was the mining camp for the North Star, southeast of Quartzsite, had short life; the P.O. established in 1909, and discontinued in 1914.


az063.jpg (313963 bytes)GOLDWATER & CO. FAIRBANK, ARIZONA. 1886  
J. Goldwater & Co. Importers and Wholesale Grocers. 10 1/4" x 7 1/2" . Letter to Springer, Cashier , Cochise County  Bank, Tombstone, A.T., signed by J. Goldwater & Co..   Original fold lines, VG+ cond. (Az.63); $275. 
The ghost town of Fairbank is in Cochise County, was founded in the 1880s, and was named after Chicago investor  Nathaniel Fairbank, who provided funds to open the silver mines in nearby Tombstone. A few buildings survive today .


az053.jpg (74700 bytes)1890 BONITA, ARIZONA MERCANTILE LETTERHEAD
William Roberts General Merchandise. 11” x 8 1/4”. Bonita was a settlement catering to the soldiers at Fort Grant and to the local ranching community. (Az.53); 125.


az078.jpg (107752 bytes)1899 PHOENIX , ARIZONA SPANISH NEWSPAPER LETTERHEAD.  
El Observador Mexicano, 1899. Addressed to Wm, Griffith, U.S. Marshall, Tucson, A.T.  Very scarce material regarding "The Only Spanish Newspaper Published At The Capital Of The Territory". Two punch holes on top, light original fold lines, slightly chipped along top rt edge, overall VG. (Az.78); 245. 


az076.jpg (135140 bytes)1891 PHOENIX, ARIZONA LETTERHEAD
St. Claire & Pratt. 10 3/4" x 8 1/2", illustrated with the "falls" along the Phoenix irrigation. Fold lines, small hole from ink,1" close tear along edge, overall VG. (Az.76); $150.


az107.jpg (97378 bytes)1892 PHOENIX ARIZONA . LETTER TO R.H. PAUL, U.S. MARSHALL.  
McNulty & Chapman Bros, to (Tucson Marshall R.H. Paul) 10 1/2” x 8”, Fold Lines, Fine. (Az. 107); $155.


az077.jpg (114709 bytes)1885 PHOENIX, ARIZONA MERCHANDISE AND LIQUOR LETTERHEAD.  
Goldman & Co. 1885, 11"x 8 1/2". Addressed to Cochise County Bank Tombstone. Original fold lines, light oval date stamp for the bank on bottom, overall VG (Az. 77); $145.  


az106.jpg (168552 bytes)WEST- ARIZONA TERRITORY- GOLDBERG BROS PHOENIX LETTERHEAD
1901 Goldberg Bros Clothing and Gents Furnishing Goods. 11 x 8 ½ . They also “established a free Employment bureau to procure work for laborers of all kinds free of charge”. This letter is sent to Peoria (Ariz.) . Original fold lines, overall VG- F. (Az.106); $75.


ckaz008.jpg (360585 bytes)CHECK -  ARIZONA TERRITORY –  HALL & SULLIVAN GOLDFIELD - SUPERSTITIONS
Unused check, 3 1/8 x 8 ¼ ,  from The Phoenix National Bank for The firm of Hall & Sullivan of Goldfield Arizina. Unused ca, 1890s .

The Goldfield Mining District lies just west of the Superstition Mountain in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona. Originally named Superstition Mining District, this area has yielded millions of dollars worth of gold and silver. Charles Hall and Dennis Sullivan struck it rich near Goldfield in the early 1890's with their group of mines in the Superstition Mining District that included the Mammoth Mines, Black King and Black Queen Mines, and several others. On April 8, 1893, a cloudburst storm sent a flash flood down Goldfield Wash. An area of bedrock was exposed that was laced with gold! This was on the Mammoth claim. A shaft was sunk that followed a lode so rich it was called "The Glory Hole" and later "The Mormon Stope".  By October 1893 the town of Goldfields boomed with about 30 buildings and 1500 residents. Stamp mills pounded the gold from the ore and production was phenomenal.  
Some minor light use an wear, overall Fine . (Ckaz008); $48..

 


az008.jpg (350113 bytes)WEST-  ARIZONA TERRITORY – PHOENIX BILLHEAD -  HALL & SULLIVAN 1901
Billhead for E.F. Kellner’s Store General Merchandise 4 ¾ x 8 ¼”, Phoenix , A.T.  Jan 12, 1901. Sold 1 box candles to Hall & Sullivan (of Goldfield Arizona). .
The Goldfield Mining District lies just west of the Superstition Mountain in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona. Originally named Superstition Mining District, this area has yielded millions of dollars worth of gold and silver. Charles Hall and Dennis Sullivan struck it rich near Goldfield in the early 1890's with their group of mines in the Superstition Mining District that included the Mammoth Mines, Black King and Black Queen Mines, and several others. On April 8, 1893, a cloudburst storm sent a flash flood down Goldfield Wash. An area of bedrock was exposed that was laced with gold! This was on the Mammoth claim. A shaft was sunk that followed a lode so rich it was called "The Glory Hole" and later "The Mormon Stope".  By October 1893 the town of Goldfields boomed with about 30 buildings and 1500 residents. Stamp mills pounded the gold from the ore and production was phenomenal. 
Some light use and wear, original fold lines,overall Vg-Fine . az009

 

 


az142.jpg (71152 bytes)ARIZONA AS IT IS.  
Hodge, Hiram C.. Arizona As It Is; or the Coming Country. New York: Hurd and Houghton, 1877. First Edition. 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall. Cloth. Good / No Jacket. 273pp., index. B/W two page map, B/W frontispiece. Book has wear around edges, original spine has been laid back down, new endpapers,  inscription on ep(Az.142); $150.


az003.jpg (97672 bytes)1897 TEMPE ARIZONA MERCANTILE BILLHEAD.  
Alfred Peteres, Tempe 4 1/4” x 8 1/2". Original fold lines, some light wear to corners, VGcond. (Az.03); $125.


az139blindstamp.jpg (389063 bytes)SCHOOL HOUSE, FLORENCE ARIZ– BOUDOIR PHOTOGRAPH.  
5 1/2” x 8 1/2” Period pen inscription on verso “Grammer (?) School Florence Arizona, In Marshall’s days”. No photographer’s imprint. A couple of light stains in sky area, overall Fine. (Az. 139); $350.


az505 w blindstamp.jpg (324401 bytes)ARIZONA TERRITORY – PRESCOTT – DUDE HOSE COMPANY – GURLEY STREET . 1891.  
Original boudoir card,. 1891, 5 ¼ x 8 ½. “ Dude” Hose Co. before parade July 4, 1891. (on      Gurley St).  E. M. Jennings , photographer’s imprint on back, along with listing for additional views. Ex Sharlot Hall Museum.  A Glimpse of Americana  in scan only.  Some minor soiling and wear, overall Fine cond. Az 505  $1200.

 

az505b.jpg (316383 bytes)BACK OF  CARD


ckaz014.jpg (701055 bytes)CHECK - ARIZONA CO-OPERATIVE MERCANTILE INSTITUTION – HOLBROOK 1896
Check, 3 ½ x 8 ½ Holbrook, Arizona (Territory). 1896 .Vignette of Columbia with shield on the left side.Signed by John R Hulet as Superintendent at lower right. This was a company store with Mormon ties and different branches, opening in 1881.  Punched in so the check couldn't be raised to a higher amount. Written on the First National Bank at Albuquerque, New Mexico. Light fold lines, two small spindle holes,  overall Fine cond. ( CkAz. 014);  $45.


az109.jpg (96526 bytes)1885 KINGMAN ARIZONA ILLUSTRATED BILLHEAD.  
1” x 8 1/2” Billhead, Beecher & Co. , formerly Welton & Beecher ( as Welton’s name has been pen out.) Nice graphic of the establishment. Overall VG– F cond. ( Az 109); $150.


ck501.jpg (363186 bytes)ARIZONA – CHINESE MERCHANT STORE CHECK – BENSON. 
Check from Hi Wo, General Merchandise, 3 ½  x 8 ½ to Albert Steinfeld & Co. 1926. Small graphic of Cochise in upper left corner. The Hi Wo Company Grocery building still exists and is located at 398 East 4th Street in Benson's commercial core/strip area. Opened in 1896, during the railroad era, it is located on the site of the original Rogers Brothers General Merchandise Store and serves as an excellent example of a commercial building .Chinese immigrant Hi Wo purchased the building in 1896 and made it into the main mercantile for the Benson area. The mercantile became a life-source for Benson residents and for transients as Benson has been the gateway to Tombstone, Bisbee, and Douglas. Chinese/Hispanic marriages were common at the time, so acceptably, soon after Hi lost his first wife, Loreto, he married her Tucsonan sister, Emeteriaa Morena and raised four daughters: Isabel, Soledad, Victoria and Felicia; and one son, José. These children spoke no Chinese, celebrated none of their father's native festivals and took Spanish names. Their dominant language was Spanish and all were confirmed Catholics.Fine cond. (ck.501); $65. 


az606.jpg (1059121 bytes)ARIZONA TERRITORY- PRESCOTT  ILLUSTRATED LETTEHEADHEAD – BASHFORD BURMISTER  1897.
The Bashford Burmister Co.  Prescott Arizona (Territory),  11 x 8 ½  letterhead. Good illustration of Building The Bashford-Burmister Company was started in 1864 by L. Bashford, but on a very small scale and became a firm in 1867.  In 1870 it became L. Bashford and Company and thus continued until 1886 when L. Bashford withdrew and the firm title was changed to The Bashford-Burmister Company which was incorporated April 1, 1892 with R.H. Burmister as president.. In 1876 a one story brick building was erected, later additions made it a three story brick building with a basement.  This was the largest store in the Territory., and still stands at  120 W. Gurley St. Original fold lines, overall VG    az606

 


  az016.jpg (299326 bytes)ARIZONA TERRITORY – PRESCOTT MERCHANDISE AND MINING SUPPLIES  BILLHEAD.1892.  
Billhead, 5 ½ x 8 ½,  for Joseph Dougherty dealer in General Merchandise and Mining Supplies. :O.K.” Corral and Feed Stables. Unusual West Prescott , Arizona location   Exhibits light use and handling, original fold lines, overall VG-Fine (Az16); $75.

 


az207.jpg (507895 bytes)ARIZONA TERRITORY KINGMAN , FREIGHTERS RECEIPT - MINING 1884
Kingman (Arizona Territory) 3” x 8 1/4”, Sept 14, 1884 receipt for ore from the Schuykill mine (which was located in Chloride) to freighter William Collins. Signed by agent for Welton & Beecher (who had mercantile store in Kingman. Welton was in partnership with a man named Grounds in mining camp of Mineral Park). A few creases, irregularly trimmed left side, o/w VG. (Az,207); $75.

 


az085.jpg (877625 bytes)TOMBSTONE CON'D GOLD & SILVER MINING CO STOCK  
Arizona. Cochise. Tombstone. Incorporated in 1881. Unissued , No vignette. Black border and print. Printer LeCount Bros. 4” x 9". Datelined San Francisco. "Tombstone Mining District, Cachise Co., A. T." printed on certificate. (Note misspelling of Cochise). (Az.85 )$185
I’m uncertain as to the complete story involving this stock. Some research has suggested that this company's name wasn't affiliated with the famous Tombstone Consolidated , which indeed was a very important silver producing mine, but simply an attempt to sell stock with a name very similar to a real producing mining company. From the 1881 book “The Resources of Arizona: Its Mineral, Farming, and Grazing Lands, Towns, and Mining Camps; Its Rivers, Mountains, Plains, and Mesas; With a Brief Summary of Its Indian Tribes, Early History, Ancient Ruins, Climate, etc. etc. A Manual of Reliable Information Concerning the Territory“, states that “The Tombstone Gold and Silver Mining Company own the Lucky Cuss, the East Side, Tribute, and Owl's Nest. This group constitutes one of the most valuable properties in the district…(and) this is the first organized company in the district. Other research from Mindat.org (the largest mineralogical reference website on the internet) indicates that the Lucky Cuss Mine, which was discovered by A.E. Sheiffelin, in February, 1878., was owned at times, or in part, by the Tombstone Gold and Silver Mining Co. (1881); the Tombstone Mill & Mining Co., Tombstone Consolidated Mines Co., Bunker Hill Mines Co., and the Tombstone Development Co.


az602a.jpg (1122317 bytes)TIP TOP GHOST TOWN -  MINING LETERHEAD –  1886
Two page manuscript letter, 11 x 8 ¼,  imprinted letterhead for the St. Louis- Yavapai Milling and Mining Co., Tip Top , Arizona ( Territory) July 1886. To the Board of Supervisors of Yavapai County regarding reimbursement for monies spent repairing County roads.

Tip Top is a ghost town in Yavapai County in the U.S. state of Arizona. The town was settled in 1876 in what was then the Arizona Territory. Primarily a silver-mining town, it had a post office from August 12, 1880, until February 14, 1895. The town was founded after Jack Moore and Bill Corning struck a significant lode of silver in 1875.  The nearby ghost town of Gillett was the original mill site for the ore from the Tip Top mine. Tip Top at its peak had over 500 residents and was one of the largest towns in Arizona at the time.

Scarce to find ephemera from this town. Exhibits light use and handling, original fold lines, o/w VG- Fine cond.   (Az602); $95.

 


az022.jpg (610264 bytes) BISBEE LETTERHEAD 1885 – SITE  OF BISBEE MASSACRE

Letterhead for A. A. Castaneda & Co., Dealers in General Merchandise and Mining Implements, Bisbee, A.T. Feb 3, 1885. 10 ½ x 8 imprinted heading with manuscript letter to A. Springer. A Springer was head cashier at the Cochise County Bank, Tombstone.  Red oval stamp for Cochise County Bank received 2/11/85 . Of note is this store was the location of the Bisbee massacre.

The Bisbee massacre, (the Bisbee murders or the Bisbee raid) took place on December 8, 1883 in Bisbee, Arizona when five outlaw Cowboys robbed a general store and killed four people. Five men were later convicted and executed on March 28, 1884 for the crime. They were the first criminals to be legally hanged in Tombstone, then the county seat. 

 Exhibits light use and handling, original fold lines, o/w VG- Fine cond.   (Az022); $125.

 

 

Top of Page
Back to Home