Western Military

Back to Home

 

 


 

mh070.jpg (134497 bytes)MEXICAN WAR- SOLDIER'S LETTER. 1p on a folded lettersheet. 4to. April 20, 1847. Concord, New Hampshire. A letter from Lieut. D, H. Crane to     text, where letter was opened.  (Mh.70); $150. In part:
"The Captain wishes me to send clothes at Wentworth [for] 35 men with him. I have come to the conclusion to wait and let our Captain see if he cares a damn for the Company how many men he has got (sic.) I am damn mad and I suppose we shall hear nothing from Captain until he enqulrs [sic) for him in Mexico. We shall see nothing for the Regiment until we form a subscription and b(u)y (sic) arms and accutments (sic) for our soldiers. Damn such a government. Burn this letter…'* (Signed with the Initials): "D. H. C,"

 


 

mh021.jpg (222674 bytes)MAJOR ALBEMARLE CADY. Signed 1851 Fort Scott Document.  15 ˝“ x 10“ unfolded. Lists account of the Regiment for a month period in 1851. Identified as Fort Scott Mo. on the document, now known as Fort Scott Kansas. (MH.021) $95.
In the war with Mexico he was at the siege of Vera Cruz and in the battles of Cerro Gordo and Churubusco. In the Battle of Molino del Rey,  Cady  received the rank of Major for Gallantry and Meritorious Conduct.  He accompanied the expedition against the Sioux Indians in 1855, and was in the action at Blue-Water, Dakota, 3 September of that year. On 27 January, 1857, he was promoted major. At the beginning of the civil war he was on duty on the Pacific coast, and remained there until 1864, when he was for a time in command of the draft-rendezvous at New Haven, Connecticut He was retired 18 May, 1864, for disability resulting from long and faithful service, and received the brevet of brigadier-general United States A., 13 March, 1865.
FORT SCOTT. Most of the 6th Infantry, including Company H, were part of Worth's 1st Division in Mexico. Military engagements in Mexico of the 6th Infantry, Company H included the Siege of Vera Cruz (Mar. 9-29, 1847), Battle of Cerro Gordo, Capture of San Antonio and Battle of Churubusco, Battle of Molino del Rey. Company H arrived at Fort Scott in late September of 1848. They replaced 1st Infantry, Company B which had garrisoned the fort during the war. Two months later, 1st Dragoons, Company F also arrived, and for a while, the fort returned to its prewar activities with the dragoons patrolling the frontier and the infantry maintaining the fort and continuing construction of the fort. The construction of the fort ceased however in April of 1850 with the fort essentially complete. The dragoons left Fort Scott in 1850, and for the next two years, company H was left to itself at this lonely post as the frontier pushed westward, making the post obsolete. Company H stayed here until the fort was closed in April of 1853.


mh071.jpg (27119 bytes)GENERAL EDWARD CANBY Cut Signature,  2" x 4 3/4"  from document, signature of Edward Canby, as Maj and Brevet Lt Col. Blue paper, remnant of album page affixed to back.  Overall VG. (Mh.71); $200.  

Major General Edward Richard Sprigg Canby graduated from West Point in 1839. During his early career, he served in the Second Seminole war  in florida and saw combat during the Mexican War, where he received three brevet promotions, including to major  and lieutenant colonel .During the U.S. Civil War, he prevented Confederate General Sibley from reaching California and led troops that took Mobile in 1865. After the war, Canby was named army commander of the Department of the Columbia. He was later sent in 1873 to California for participation in the Modoc War. The Modocs, entrenched in Captain Jack's Stronghold south of Tule Lake, resisted army attacks so effectively that a peace conference was arranged. General Canby was shot and killed by Captain Jack of the Modocs on April 11, 1873, becoming the first, and only, general killed during the Indian Wars.


w049.jpg (78096 bytes)FORT RILEY, KANSAS. Cabinet card, 4 1/4" x 6 1/2" Ca. 1890 view of soldiers in unusual white dusters. E.D. Zellner, Photographer Junction City, Kansas. Mount exhibits light wear , somewhat lacking contrast, o/w  VG. (W.049); $300.  
Fort Riley is located in Northeast Kansas, on the Kansas River, between between Junction City and Manhattan.  The fort was established in 1853 as a military post to protect the movement of people and trade over the Oregon-California and Santa Fe trails. In the years after the Civil War, Fort Riley a major United States Cavalry post and school for cavalry tactics and practice. The post was a base for skirmishes with Native Americans after the Civil War, during which time George Custer was stationed at the fort. Later, Fort Riley became the site of the United States Cavalry School in 1887.


w200.jpg (67294 bytes)FORT WINGATE, NM. Stereo view. 4" x 7". View of Fort Wingate , NM in middle ground, a few soldiers are seen in the foreground. "Views in New Mexico and Arizona, Photographed by Ben Wittick, published by Wittick and Russell, Albuquerque, NM. Rare view. Some average soiling and wear, overall VG. (W.200); $700.  



w505.jpg (86041 bytes)FORT STANTON, NEW MEXICO.  SUTLERS LETTERHEAD. Imprinted letterhead for John C. DeLany, Post  Trader, Fort Stanton, Feb 1884. 10 1/2" x 8". Pen manuscript letter to Browne & Manzanares, Las Vegas.  Letter regarding payment, signed in by J. C. DeLany.  Browne & Manzanares was a large commission and forwarding firm out of Las Vegas. Scarce fort sutler ephemera.  A few insect holes on bottom of paper, not affecting  text, a small amount of ink smearing in text, overall VG. (W.505) $325.  


w504.jpg (56983 bytes)FORT STANTON, NEW MEXICO LETTER. Pen manuscript letter for Capt requesting locks from the firm of Browne & Manzanares. Not dates, though probably ca. 1884. 10" x 8", insect damage along bottom edge, a few very small random spots , o/w G. (W. 504); $100.


w697.jpg (46333 bytes)FORT UNION, NEW MEXICO. SUTLER'S LETTERHEAD. Imprinted letterhead for W. Fabian & Co. Post  Traders, Fort Union, N.M.  Feb 1884. 5 1/2" x 8". Pen manuscript letter to Browne & Manzanares, Las Vegas.  Letter regarding payment.  Browne & Manzanares was a large commission and forwarding firm out of Las Vegas. Scarce fort sutler ephemera.  Paper originally trimmed on bottom, overall VG. (W.697); $275. 


w503.jpg (64818 bytes)FORT UNION POST QUARTERMASTER LETTERHEAD. Imprinted letterhead for Office of the Post Quatermaster,  Fort Union, N.M. 1884. 10" x 7 1/2". Pen manuscript letter to Browne & Manzanares, Las Vegas.  Letter regarding receipt.  Browne & Manzanares was a large commission and forwarding firm out of Las Vegas. Small amount of Insect/ rodent damage along rt center edge, some damage and tears along left edge, small amount of cockling of paper, overall G (W.503); $245. 

 


 

w064.jpg (80761 bytes)SCOUT FORT MEADE, D.T. DEADWOOD PHOTOGRAPHER. Cabinet card of well armed man, identified on back ( though not period) as Major Jas. A Howard, Fort Meade,D.T. 1883. George W.Scott, Deadwood, Dakota photographer's imprint. ust a tad light, o/w Fine condition. (W.64); $900. 


w511.jpg (79378 bytes)FORT RICE, D.T. RELATED LETTER.  One page pen manuscript letter, 10" x 8". to Lt. William Van Horne, 17th U.S. Inft, Fort Rice, D.T. Letter regards payment for voucher, signed by J.W. Nicholls, QM Silver CIty Iowa. Original fold lines, some handling, overall VG. (W.511); $100.  

 


 

w003.jpg (133166 bytes)FORT CUSTER, MONTANA SOLDIER. Cabinet Card, 6 1/2" x 4 1/4" View of a band member of the 1st cavalry at Fort Custer. O.S. Goff, Fort Custer photographer's backmark. Exhibits Strong tonality, contrast and clarity. Some foxing on back, overall Fine cond. (W.03); $SOLD
 
Fort Custer was established 1877 by U.S. Army to control the Crow Indians, the post was located on the high point between the Big Horn and Little Big Horn Rivers south of present-day Hardin, Montanaa.  By the time the fort was established, most of the hostiles in the vicinity had been confined to reservations, but the post supplied troops for some of the Plains campaigns, including the Bannock War in 1878 and an uprising at the Crow Agency in 1886. The post closed on April 17, 1898 and the buildings were sold. 


mh218.jpg (67083 bytes)19th C. US SOLDIERS. Cabinet Card, 6 1/2" x 4 1/4" View of two soldiers, late Indian war period, or possible as late as Span Am war. With an enlargement so their insignias, it appears to be 2nd Infantry. If this is correct, after the Civil War,  the 2nd Regiment was sent west to fight the Indians. From 1877 to 1886 they are in Washington, Oregon and Idaho Territory campaigning against the Nez Perce then the Bannocks. In 1886 they moved to Nebraska to help fight the Sioux. They were on the Pine Ridge Reservation in December 1890 when the Wounded Knee Massacre took place and remained on the western plains until 1898. . There is a ball point pen id of Jim Robinson cousin on he bottom left of image, and and earlier id of "Ike Robinson son Jim Robinson. Uncle Ike was James Robinson's brother" on back . Image exhibits crazing and light surface scratches throughout image, o/w VG. J.A. Thompson, Elmdale, Kansas photographer's imprint. (Mh.218);SOLD 


mh207.jpg (43803 bytes)MILITARY DRUMMER. CDV; 4 1/4" x 2 1/2" .View of an uniformed drummer, with a  Givens, Seward, Neb. photographer's imprint. Givens was active 1882 -1893. Uncertain as the the exact nature, by the date of this photo, the nearby forts of Fort Atkinson or Fort Kearney were long gone. (Mh.207); $200.


mh219.jpg (112185 bytes)SECOND INFANTRY NCOs- INDIAN WAR SOLDIERS. 6 3/4" x 8 3/4" image on 76 1/4" x 9 1/4' mount. View of several non commissioned officers from company D, 2nd US Infantry (enlargement). No photographer's imprint. Image fine, mount is closely cropped and exhibits edge roughness. (Mh.219); $225. 

 


 

w310.jpg (206779 bytes)BILL OF LADING FORT SHAW, M.T.  1886 Bill of lading , 5 3/4" x 10 1/2" from T.C. Power, Fort Benton, M.T. delivered to J. H. McKnight at Fort Shaw. Original fold lines, separation along bottom vertical fold, o/w VG. (W.310); $125. 
J.H. McKnight and Company was founded by Joseph Hempstead McKnight during the years following 1870. McKnight, came west in the 1860s in the company of Thomas C. Power, a business associate. Before forming his own company, McKnight worked as clerk at sutler stores at Fort Buford, at Camp Cook on the Judith River, and at Fort Benton, where he arrived in August 1866. In 1871, McKnight, assisted by the financial backing of T.C. Power, took charge of the trading post at Fort Shaw, Montana. Fort Shaw, located at Sun River Crossing twenty miles above the mouth of the Sun River, was established in 1867. An infantry post, it served as the regimental headquarters in the military department of the Territory of Montana. It was designed to protect settlers and prospectors, to prevent the invasion of Blackfeet treaty land, and to keep the route between Fort Benton and the Helena gold fields open. As the licensed post trader, J.H. McKnight and Company served the military, plus trappers, area settlers, Indian agents from the Blackfeet Agency, and the Northwest Mounted Police of Canada. In its operation, J.H. McKnight and Company was very closely connected with T.C. Power and Brother at Fort Benton. In 1887, McKnight sold the Fort Shaw traders' post and moved his operation to Great Falls. 


w510.jpg (174728 bytes)BILL OF LADING FORT LOGAN, M.T.  1879 Bill of lading , 16" x 10 " from T.C. Power, Fort Benton, M.T. delivered to William Gaddis, who was  the post trader at Fort Logan. Gaddis also served as the a judge of the territory.  Nice vignette of steam locomotive and cars. Original fold lines, o/w VG. (W.510); $200. 
Fort Logan was first established by the U.S. Army on November 1, 1869 and called Camp Baker for  Major E.M. Baker of Fort Ellis.. Its objective was to the protect the Fort Benton to Helena freight road, as well as the area miners and settlers. The  provided troops for many of the campaigns in western Montana , including the Nez Perce War in 1877. In 1878, the post was renamed Fort Logan in honor of Captain William Logan who was killed at the Battle of the Big Hole. The fort was abandoned in 1880,  the land and buildings were sold to Judge Gaddis. 

 

 Top of Page
Back to Home